Posted on | February 7, 2012 | 40 Comments
Decide what your web site/blog is about, sales, hobby, pleasure, now do a web search for similar businesses, choose 2 or 3 words that best describe the niche your working in. These will help you find your keywords
1. Now use a free keyword list tool to find at least 2 of these keywords (3 is better) Type in the 2 or 3 words describing your niche. Choose similar keywords in combos with the least amount of paid competition. The column to the right will give Competition rating “low” is what you want.
2. Try to find a 2 or 3 keyword combo with at least 100,000+ local searches a month, the idea being at even a 1% conversion rate this is 1,000 hits a month to your site/blog. Now buy your domain name using those keywords in your domain name.
(b) the idea is to have these keywords in your domain name, meta keywords, meta description (what your blogs about) and meta content (first 60 – 80 words shown in search engine results) plus through out each post and pages content. This is essential to Search Engine Optimization, if you do this part right then you do not need to spend money for others to do this for you
3. Decide if your going to design a web site or a blog, a blog is much quicker and easier to start from. If you choose a WordPress Blog,
I have a 43 part video tutorial for $7 that will walk you through every step of setting up a WordPress blog from scratch.
4. For a free hosting site I recommend http://www.000webhost.com, its a excellent hosting site with a full cpanel. You use the Fantasico software installer to install WordPress. You can use the WordPress video tutorial to do a manual from scratch install.
(You only have to add a small ad at the bottom of your blog in exchange for the free hosting) About paid Hosting
5. Once you have installed WordPress it’s time to secure your WordPress installation, you should add WSD Security Plugin and follow the instructions. In the instructions for cpanel security changes even though WSD security reports you have 775 security rights to make the page changes when you do not have them. Follow the instructions and change them manually in cpanel. When your done change them back to 655.
(b) Next install the All in One S.E.O. plugin, add your keywords, blogs meta description, meta content, when creating your posts and pages use your keywords in the Titles and Page names as much as possible. Customize each new pages “meta keywords”, “meta description” and “meta content” to match each pages content as close as possible.
6. It is now time to purchase a WordPress Theme you like or to choose a Free Theme you like the looks of and customize it with your own pictures, video, picture gallery and such. Once you have chosen the Theme you then either auto install using the theme installer or upload it as a zip file for installation.
7. The most important part is to write our own unique content for your blog posts (at least 500 words), then join several Blog article directories, these are services that offer your unique content for other Bloggers to reprint on their blogs. You do this because you can add your name, blog description, and hyperlink to your blog in 3 separate lines at the bottom of each article. These create back links to your blogs that will help with search engine rankings.
8. Now join Linkedin, Twitter and other social media sites to advertise your blog on. These also create back links, join Bit.ly url shorting service, this service not only shortens urls, it keeps track of which social postings are clicked on, what time they are click on. You then know which messages were effective and at what time.
9. Now another excellent free service is http://translate.google.com advertising in as many languages as possible increases traffic links to your blog which increases search engine rankings. By no means 100% accurate it is still is quite effective in drawing traffic to your blog.
10. Listing service urls as I have in this article both internal to this blog and external also helps, some blog directories only allow a certain number per article so make sure you check their requirements. search terms “free blog directories for posting too”. Use the free blog services that have you sign up for auto pinging, this means when you write a new post these directories automatically receive notice that you have written new content and they will review this new content.
I hope you find this checklist helpful to starting your Blog up.
How to start a Blog with S.E.O. for Less!